Monday, February 14, 2005

Movies Through Feb 13, 2005

Feb 13
Cellular. Exciting! I really liked it!
Shall We Dance. Fun. I enjoyed it.
The Grudge. Non-linear and sometimes creepy.

Feb 6
Almost Heroes (1998) stars Matthew Perry and Chris Farley in a silly race against rivals Lewis and Clark. I'd forgotten how funny this movie was. Guy (that's GEE, hard "g") Fontenot is probably my all-time favorite Eugene Levy character. hehe Makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Potluck (2002) I didn't know what to expect on this one and was pleasantly surprised. It is not a drug movie even though it was put out by High Times and one of the main characters is a suitcase of contraband. Weaving throughout the film-- the suitcase is bought and sold, then stolen and restolen by an unlikely cast of gangsters, artists, drag queens and activists. The other main character is Frank, the loyal mob soldier. He goes through quite a few changes when he becomes involved with the lead singer in an all-girl punk band. Check it out, you just might like it!

The Wind Take my advice. Let it blow on by.

Pauly Shore Is Dead Here's another one that I had reservations about considering the bad reviews. But if you like Pauly Shore, you'll like this. He fakes his own death to become a "comedic genius who died before his time" at the mistaken urging of his gaurdian angel, Sam Kinnison, appearing to him several times in the movie. Todd Bridges, who he meets in county lock-up after being found out, does a great job. This movie has TONS of celebrities portraying themselves, seemingly not always willingly. I think Gene enjoyed it more than me, but it still had some good hah-yucks. (Did you know Pauly Shore's mom owns The Comedy Store? Sam Kinnison was one of his baby-sitters.)

Here are some others we saw a few weeks ago:

Employee of the Month I wanted to check this out because it has two actors I like. I first noticed Steve Zahn when he played Wayne Wayne Wayne Jr in Happy, Texas (escaped convicts disguised as beauty pageant experts; here's a LINK to a photo of Wayne Wayne.) You might remember him as Hank Rafferty in National Security with Martin Lawrence, or Marvin in Daddy Day Care. The other is Christina Applegate. I liked it for the most part. Lots of twists and turns and my requisite quirky characters. You have to watch through the credits to see the actual end of the movie though.

The Village
Opie Taylor's little girl, Bryce Dallas Howard, does a fine job as Ivy.
Wicker Park I have to confess I fast forwarded through a lot of it. Maybe the muzak was worth watching those long non-action parts? Would have been better as a thirty minute movie. Mostly leaves you feeling sad for all that wasted time. The main couple's wasted time, I mean.
The Forgotten Ooops, I forgot to mention it before.
Cold Mountain. The part of Ada Monroe was miscast. Plenty of others could have played the part and been more convincing. Why did it have to be N. Kidman? And Jude Law almost missed the mark, too, but he did do dark and brooding well with those piercing baby blues. Still haven't put my finger on it, but something was off with Kathy Baker as Sally Swanger. Everyone else was convincing to me. Lots of pretty visuals and the story sucked me in.

Jan 21
Remember the little Amish boy in the Harrison Ford movie, Witness?
Remember Darlene's boyfriend in Roseanne?
How about Terminator 3's John Connor?
They're all grown up in Bookies. Three college guys start their own bookie operation. Don't worry if you don't know the lingo. There are subtitles, sometimes amusing, to explain it all. Loved the way they went ahead and fast forwarded through those long, repetitive, or boring setup scenes for you and got back to the story. I enjoyed it.

Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle. Okay, I enjoyed this. Found myself chuckling about it a lot during the following days. If you like the Dazed and Confused kind of movies, you'll enjoy this one. Lots of yucks!

Another comedic look at a dysfunctional family, American Girl was pretty fair. Basic premise being a girl wanting her mom to take her, her brother and step-sister to make the trip and visit her dad for "family day" at prison. It had it's moments.

I wanted Code 46 to be good. I really did. It's set in the future and stars Tim Robbins and Samantha Morton (remember her from In America?). It's been done better.
Open Water. I think the accompanying documentary on the filmmakers was probably more interesting than the actual movie. Just goes to show what someone with imagination, skill, and determination can do on a budget.

Angels in the Endzone. Okay, I didn't really watch this one, but it was on fuzzy tv (which is how I think of those stations that have bad reception). But Gene was watching it on and off. From what I could see/hear of it, looked pretty dumBah.

Jan 8
I got back from visiting Dad just about dark. Picked up a movie and a pizza. Gene and I watched King Arthur with Clive Owen and Keira Knightley. Now, finishing up The Whole Ten Yards that we started the other night but didn't get to finish. Big time in the ol' town tonight, yeah boy!

Jan 6
Can't believe my "new" car has 5,000 miles on it already (since 10/29/04). Time for it's first maintenance check. Conveniently, I can get an oil change when I drive over to see Dad tomorrow and combine the two. It's at least 60 miles to the nearest Toyota dealer anyway. It's going to be a trip either place I go, so thank goodness that little town has a dealership and I can get it done there.

The movie for today? Troy ... two words: Brad Pitt. Yeeeow!

Jan 5
Evolution with David Duchovny. Julianne Moore, Orlando Jones and Seann William Scott. Still funny. One of the videos that we added to our collection for Christmas.

Jan 4
Danny Deckchair I liked it! Starts out quirky and ended up a romantic comedy. Check it out.

Jan 1, 2005
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Good of video game to movie genre. Not thick on plot, but good effects. Milla Jovovich stars.
Shaun of the Dead
Romantic comedy with zombies and was quite entertaining. We liked it. (Gore content: moderately high)
Dead End
Spooky movie with a family on an isolated road that goes on and on forever. Kind of like this movie. (Minimal gore)
Hero
A visual treat. Lots of movie martial art action. Definetly worth a look.
Hot Shots: Part Deaux
I love this parody! One of my favorites.
Cops and Robersons
Jack Palance is a hoot. Chevy Chase is one of the best at adept ineptness. A fun movie.

Dec 26
I Robot
One of those "the book was better" kind of films, but Will Smith is always great. An entertaining film with all its special effects.
The Clearing
Robert Redford, Helen Merrin, Willem Defoe. Was okay so far. We started watching it late and I fell asleep and haven't finished watching it.
Hope Springs
Another one of those, "was okay so far, but I fell asleep and haven't finished watching it" movies.
Jawbreaker
Tssk. Tssk. Those mean girls!
Malibu’s Most Wanted
Had it's funny parts.
Collateral
Mostly, I just had a hard time getting past Tom Cruise with the salt-n-peppah hair.
It’s a Wonderful Life
Just saw the last half. Not too bad seeing it that way. I always thought the first half is such a snooze and had trouble getting past it. But tuning in at the middle is the way to go!


Dec 21
Watched Bourne Supremacy this morning, Or at least, finished watching it. If you enjoyed Bourne Identity, you’ll like this one. Kind of short on plot, but long on action.

The evening movie was Ghostwatcher. I probably wouldn’t recommend it unless you are one of those folks that gets a kick out of B Horror movies. In that case, it’s probably worth a look.

Dec 9
Tonight is our work Christmas Party. It's always interesting to see what they come up with each year. One year it was a Talent Show, another ... Game Night. Whatever it is, it is of course combined with good food. This year, they chose to watch Goonies. Not sure how that came about, but I'm for it! I rented the video last night and brought my contribution of pudding cups to work the other day. I'm set. Could this fun work activity possibly eclipse Halloween's Spycology Day? We'll see.

Dec 7
Tonight's Christmas viewing was A Charlie Brown Christmas. Still funny after all these years.

Dec 6, 2004

Just happened to catch a Christmas movie tonight that I haven't seen before. Probably wouldn't see it again, but it was worth seeing once. Keep an eye on the Martian children to see Pia Zadora starring as Girmar. There is an entertaining review of

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians HERE.



Starsky & Hutch with Owen Wilson, Ben Stiller and Snoop Dogg. It had some funny moments. Okay for a rental.

No comments: